Tuesday 2 August 2011

I, I Really Want To Go Outside

After one month in Barcelona (and plans to return in the near future) I was talking with my flatmate who, it was clear, was disillusioned with the whole experience of living abroad. I found this immensely refreshing, to be honest. In America it is the dream to live abroad, it's exotic and exciting and away from the mundane day-to-day life. In fact this was what my other flat mate insisted on telling me. She told me almost daily that she was happy to get away from her routine, that the thought of going home was too much. I couldn't say that I looked enviously at her day to day routine. Since I've graduated I've gone to uni sporadically, travelled and worked shift work at a restaurant as well as other odd jobs. The thought of settling into a day to day life, doing the same things all the time, looks heavenly to me. Unfortunately it is not in my nature to settle down and I don't think it was in my flatmate's either. Even though she was eager to go home she was already planning her next trip. But what I like was her acknowledgement that while travelling was part of her it wasn't the pinnacle of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment