Wednesday 12 October 2011

Fromage-A Book Club

As an avid reader I generally read whatever falls in my path. One genre I love to love and love to make fun of is-the "trashy" book genre: chic lit, best sellers, paperbacks. They are easy to read and can end a dull afternoon (not that I have any of those lately) and don't require much/any thought. As much as I love and thrive off of reading Shakespeare, the classics, "intellectual" books, I sometimes need a break. And to be fair, I truly believe that these authors like any other have a deep knowledge of their genre and fans and write accordingly. And the books are fun to read!

This month's fromage is The Queen's Captive by Barbara Kyle.

Chapters 1-3 Recap
Elizabeth is locked up by Queen Mary who is on a killing spree and butchering everyone who opposes her. This part is factual/somewhat factual.

Honor is an Englishwoman who has been exiled from merry old England. Her kiddies are up and leaving the nest, one is "with child" and off to the new world and one has just been dumped, which is convenient since the blurb says he is supposed to have a "connection" with Elizabeth. Honor gets called back to London to "advise" Elizabeth. Chapter Two ends with an ominous statement that Honor wants to make her Queen. Dramatic music please.

So far Elizabeth is a bit of a brat and basically throws a lot of non death related temper tantrums for someone who is supposedly about to be executed. And she speaks in Latin, which is good for her, I guess.

Chapter 1-3 Review
So far the fromage levels are low. The dialogue seems like it half came out of Coronation Street and half out of a BBC period piece production. Only one mention of 'bosoms'. I do enjoy the descriptions of the English country side and I suspect a pig roast is pending. Overall I am enjoying this so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment